Sunday, February 27, 2011

From Brisbane to Cairns on the Sunlander Train

Thursday, Feb. 24, 2011 - Brisbane, board the Sunlander
Happy 71st birthday to me. How did I get this old? I still feel like I’m 25 and looking forward to conquering the world. I didn’t conquer the world, but I hope I left it a little better than I found it. No pity party, though, I am quite happy with my life, especially my life with Karen, who had a lot to do with shaping who I am. OK, enough of that!

We took the rental car back to the downtown agency, then walked through the botanical gardens (have you noticed that all cities here have botanical gardens?) and on to a ferry station to return by boat (City Cat) to the hotel. When we got to the station, we found it had been closed due to damage from the flooding and now it was very difficult to find our way back to a city street to catch a cab. After a couple false starts and some advice, we did get back to a street and hailed a cab.


Botanic Gardens in Brisbane

Shortly after noon, we made our way to the train station and boarded sleeping car A for our 30 hour trip on the Sunlander train to Cairns. We have our own stateroom with fold down double deck beds, a fold down sink, and other clever space saving items like a 3 inch deep closet. Naturally I get the top bunk, but it does have straps, so I won’t fall off, hopefully. We were served high tea at 2:00 and a three course dinner at 7. Drinks and a pianist/singer in the club car adds to the ambiance. So this is how the other half lives!
We met a nice couple from Anchorage who must be part of the other half, because they have been in Australia since Christmas to escape the Alaskan winter. They have traveled virtually everywhere in Australia. Too bad I didn‘t inherit old money or didn’t make a fortune in business. I could have been a great rich person!


Gourmet Food in the Dining Car

It’s 10:00 in the evening as I write this in the club car. The entertainer is playing and singing just for me, everyone else has gone to bed! I am truly a PC (privileged character). Reality will set in soon enough!

Friday, Feb. 25, 2011 - Aboard the Sunlander

It wasn’t that easy to sleep on the train - going around curves and rough tracks at times made it difficult to go to sleep and remain asleep, but it wasn’t too bad. Not much to report on this day - interesting scenery, great food, met some nice people, but for the most part it was just a day traveling on a luxury train. However as we approached Cairns, we could see the effect of cyclone Yasi which had come through a week or two before, wiping out whole forests. The staff on the train had not seen this and were aghast at the beautiful scenery that had been erased. It turns out we were on the first Northbound train to get through since Yasi.

This was a beautiful rainforest two weeks ago, before Yasi.


It also rained the whole day. Didn’t really care that much, because we were on a train. Our last meal on the train was really something.  The picture says it all.

Sea food lovers, eat your heart out!
Arrived Cairns at 7 PM, checked into the Hilton and went to sleep in a bed that didn’t move. It was still raining outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment